As can be seen each of the powers is created by the followers belief, if the follower does not hold the requisite belief then the leader is not able to influence them.
· Reward power needs follower to believe leader will reward them.
· Coercive power needs follower to believe leader will punish them.
· Legitimate power needs follower to believe leader has right to instruct them.
· Referent power need follower to believe leader has desirable qualities.
· Expert power need follower to believe leader is an expert.
Whether the follower’s beliefs are correct is irrelevant, the beliefs alone will determine the II. Make the summary of the text as in the example and learn it by heart. type of power, a leader has over the follower.
Each of the leadership powers can be used by themselves or combined so that the leader has maximum influence. The leader will therefore need to think carefully about which power to use.
The use of one power could lead to a decrease in another for example coercive power (which necessitates the use of punishment) may decrease the leaders referent power , if it causes the followers to belief that the leader has qualities that aren’t admirable.
III. Find antonyms of the following words: a reward, to complete, effective, proportionate, to refuse II. Make the summary of the text as in the example and learn it by heart., frequent, initially, to reduce, to return, dependant, supervisor.
IV. State if the sentences are True or False:
|1) The followers have to believe that the leader will give them the reward promised once the task is not completed by them.|
|2) Rewards should not be offered, to follower employees to complete duties which are a normal part of their role.|
|3) The leader may use any penalty he likes and thinks is suitable for the situation.|
|4) The followers have an obligation to obey all instructions of the leader without thinking over them.|
|5) An experienced member of the team or staff II. Make the summary of the text as in the example and learn it by heart. in an organization can have expert power even though they are not a supervisor or manager.|
|6) A bar of chocolate or a box of sweets is a sincere reward for everybody.|
|7) Legitimacy power is created by the leader’s job title (such as captain, doctor, or area manager).|
You are going to hear two people discussing what makes a good leader. Listen carefully to what they say, and answer the questions:
1. Does the first speaker think that people who study business can learn how to become a leader?
2. What is leadership, according to the first speaker?
3. What word does the second II. Make the summary of the text as in the example and learn it by heart. speaker use to describe leadership?
4. The first speaker mentions two famous people from history. Who are they? (p.19)
I. Read for general understanding and try to guess what the text is about:
Ø proper organization of a manager’s job
Ø people’s abilities and talents
Ø “good” human relations and proper working relations between people
Ø promotion system
Ø a manager’s integrity